Sunday, August 2, 2009

Yes, But Is It Art?

I suppose quite a few parents have "But when I came home from work and opened the door, my children had..." stories. Thankfully, mine are not too catastrophic. But occasionally I do come home to find something a little different sitting on the end table by the front door:



When this happens, it is never in question what has transpired: Em has been on a walk somewhere and found more treasure.

And more treasure.



And more treasure.


And one of my personal favorites, here shown with a dime in order to illustrate relative size:



Now, the astute reader will be asking her/himself, "But what does she do with all her treasure?" I'm so glad you asked.

She attaches it to the wall of her bedroom:



And, if she's really lucky, and stumbles across a pile of rusty old metal out in the desert, she uses it to make a mobile:






The finished product:

(In the background is the sun-figure what was handed to me by a nice man on the streets of St. Louis one evening while I was walking to a restaurant; but that's another blog post. Maybe.)


I'm still waiting to see what these turn into:


(We had to stop the car and wait so she could go get these.)

But I do take some comfort in knowing where she will be in another 10 years: living in New York, or San Francisco, or Seattle, in a little house with an attached studio, working in -- well, some medium or another:


It brings a little tear to my eye.

4 comments:

Becky said...

It's almost art. In order for it to be complete she needs a plaque naming it or she needs to attach it all to some sort of canvas. One must remember the incident with the custodian at I think the MOCA who swept up someone's "art" project as it appeared to be a pile of wadded up paper and garbage. I'm sure a plaque might have helped. But then, the act of sweeping the "art" up might have been a type of interpretive dance on the part of the custodian. Yes, this is a topic which I have spent many a discussion taking in and spewing out.

Isn't it appropriate that my word verification for this post is "focal?"

mommymuse said...

Go, Emily, go! Maybe if you're lucky she'll be wildly rich and famous, and able to support you in your decrepit old age :)

Unknown said...

Memo to self; next time we send a care package, include all the junk I can find in my Art Metals classroom.

Tiauna Elise Noble said...

I'm a proud lender of this art! :) Hahaha! Emily and I do have too much fun sometimes! I love her wall, and the things that have been attached to it! ;) good times! I'm waiting for one of our many animal burials to show up on her wall, I did have a jack rabbit leg....