Saturday, October 10, 2009

Letting Off Some Steam

I was listening to a local radio talk show a few nights ago. The topic was drug addiction and treatment, and they had as guests both some recovering addicts and some people who ran treatment programs. One of the program's hosts mentioned that the stories of addiction they were listening to that night could be used as "cautionary tales," so that, presumably, people could see where things went wrong for these recovering addicts and escape their fate.

One of the guests both ran a recovery program and was himself a recovering addict. During their interview with him one of the hosts the guest asked whether he could identify some moment in time he'd like to go back to and somehow change -- maybe make a different decision. When he asked this, the host even acknowledged that the guest had become addicted by taking a legally prescribed drug for a real medical condition. But somehow the host still assumed that there was some point where things went bad, some decision to regret. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but something about that question seemed to show both an ignorance about addiction and an underlying attitude that bothered me.

The guest's response brought it into focus for me. Basically, his answer was: "No, I can't identify any moment in time like that, because I don't believe addiction is a moral decision." He simply took the morphine he was prescribed because he didn't want to be in pain anymore. There wasn't any moral lapse involved.

Wow. To see the world in that way is kind of refreshing. Undoubtedly, there are plenty of times that people make immoral choices and royally screw up their lives, and the lives of innocent people as well. I've made bad choices before, and I've seen basically good people brought down by decisions both stupid and morally wrong. I do believe in good and bad, right and wrong. That's not the point.

The point is that sometimes, even things that look like they must be the result of character flaws or moral weakness probably just happen to people without their ever making a consious decision to do something bad. Maybe some addicts never purposely take a wrong turn. Maybe some people file for bankruptcy because they are unlucky and not because they lack integrity. Maybe, on occasion, people get in trouble because they're naive or ignorant instead of evil. And on the whole, I'd rather hang out with folks who see things that way, instead of folks who are always pointing out the moral of the story.

Why? Because it seems like a less stressful way to live when you don't have to figure out which moral principles have been violated, and instead just try to help and understand a little more. In my experience, "I told you so" doesn't help as much as you'd think. It's less burdensome when you don't have to figure out how each episode of human misery grew from some violation of moral law. Instead, you can just see people in trouble and try to help. There's plenty of time to root out the causes later.

I really think I'd be happier living and thinking that way. And it would be fun to find some like-minded people. I think I'd enjoy talking and working with them. Of course I've run across a few. A certain family of canoe lovers comes to mind, for example. But they are a long ways away, in a mystical land of cheese and waterways. If only there were some people like that in Utah. If only. . . .

Ah, but wait. I can hear the voice of my good friend S.M, telling me about just such a group of people. He claims they walk among us. I'm not sure whether to believe him or not. It seems like the stuff of legends, almost, and yet there he is, himself a living example of a person in Utah who actually thinks that way. I suppose there could be more. He claims they are organized and even have a name. At least here in Utah, he says, they are usually called Democrats.

4 comments:

canoelover said...

Heretic.

Don't you know that there are two choices, good and evil? I choose good, you choose evil.

The bad things that happen to me are a trial of my astounding faith. The bad things that happen to you are because you choose to do evil and are punishment for your sinful choices.

Furthermore, I am wealthy because God is blessing me for my obedience to His laws. Poor people must not be obedient because they are poor.

Those middle-class people really pose a dilemma. Are they half-good, half-evil, or do they do evil half the time and good half the time? It really boggles my mind so I choose not to think about it. I'd rather keep my weltanschauung intact. Actually, I have no idea what weltanschauung is. That's not a word they use on Fox News. Must be German for watercress.

Only bad people eat watercress.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I mean this.

Signed,

LaVerne Fielding Tanner
President, Utah Society for the Promotion of Purity and Smugness

Becky said...

Do you think the fall of Rome was the result of a bad moral choice or the result of a culture with an incurable obsession for building roads and bridges in territories where they weren't really welcome? What would it do to your weltanschauung if some toga-wearing, road-building, southerner messed up your favorite soccer field?

"Ah..doesn't this road look nice, so straight, we should make another one, don't you think?"
"Yes Horatio, and a bridge to match, let us be off to the quarry!"
"Oh, wait a second Octavius, I have to tighten my sandal strap before I trip over another soccer ball."

mommymuse said...

I hope your house has a top-grade lightning rod, you reprobate-heathen-DEMOCRAT!

canoelover said...

Democrat? Like Hugh B. Brown? Like James E. Faust? Take that, John Birch!